What’s Wrong with Franklin?
WHAT’S WRONG WITH FRANKLIN ARTERIAL?
Franklin Street Arterial is based on a suburban model of auto-oriented
design which does not accommodate other modes of transportation.
- It is a barrier that is not a “Place,” but somewhere to drive through.
- It is unsafe for pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists.
- It pollutes the air.
- It severs historic neighborhoods, cross streets, and walking routes.
- It separates downtown from its neighborhoods.
- It is out of scale with the surrounding city.
- It is an underutilized area that detracts from urban density, limits the potential for mixed use development, and creates unusable open space.